I’ve been thinking about my ‘voice’. That’s designing voice, what with me doing a bit of designing these days and all. Apparently it’s really important to find your design voice.
Frankly, I don’t think I’ve done enough to have a voice – 4 designs published, and maybe as many again in the creative pipeline. What do they have in common?
- 3 knit, 1 crochet.
- 3 free, 1 pay-for.
- 4 non-brand-name yarns. I do like my yarn, but the muse comes upon me when I only have DK acrylic.
- 2 child/baby, 1 any age, 1… erm?!
- 3 fairly quick/small items, one small but tricky.
- Only 1 pair of gloves and, so far, no hats, even though these are the things I make most often.
- 2 accessories, 1 garment.
- 2 with some colourwork, but bizarrely no cables, even though I love ’em.
- 4 rather odd things. Okay, 1 joke item, 3 moderately quirky.
The planned designs include (1) babywear, (2) accessories, and (3) adult garments. (1) may include some colourwork, and challenging construction. (2) will also include some colourwork, and some lace, but otherwise quite straightforward. (3) will almost definitely be brand-name yarn, and perhaps some challenging construction. Many in categories (1) and (3) may strike some (~cough!~ boring) people as freaky, weird, or mentally unbalanced, and at least one from category (2) as mildly eccentric. But what do I know, I’m on the moon picking whootleberries.
Strange colourwork in bargain bin mystery yarn.
My voice is cracked.