This is an heirloom teddy I made for my niece.I took a basic pattern I found in a craft shop and added a skirt with a pocket and hanky, socks, shoes, a flower and hair. The pattern was in dc throughout, starting with 6 or 8 dc in a looped chain, then increasing one dc every 1 stitch in row 1, every 2 st in row 2, etc, until you get the right width, then continuing straight until the length is right and decreasing in reverse to the increase. Before it closes, stuff the part with a suitable foam (I’ve used old stockings/tights before but these might not be so good for kid’s toys) and then finish. The ears are just a body shape, done up to the end of the increases, then folded and shaped before attaching.I used a chenille yarn for the furry bits, and thickish crochet thread for the clothing. I did a bit of shaping on the arms to suggest paws by decreasing on the row after the main increases ended. The eyes and nose came from another craft shop, and the mouth detail was satin stitch – about the only embroidery stitch I can do.To do the skirt I crocheted a chain into the body, then crocheted off that in rounds. I increased slightly at the bottom to get the flare, then did a scallop edge by crocheting 5tr into every third stitch at the bottom.The hair was sewn onto the shaft of the dcs along about a quarter on the head, then knotted to form 2 ‘hairs’. Once it was all in, I combed it into shape with a wide-tooth comb, trimmed the ends and tied it with the bows.
The flower was a simple loop chain with 10dc in yellow, the petals in red by *slst into dc, 4ch, ttr into same dc, 4ch and slst in same loop, 2ch, skip a dc, repeat from *. It was sewn into the paw using the tails of the cotton. The shoe laces are just chains tied into bows.
I called her Goldilocks when I was making her. I always felt uncomfortable about the Goldilocks story, because there was no comeback on her for breaking and entering, willful damage and theft. Getting turned into a bear seemed fair! However my niece has decided she’s a princess bear so she’s now called Lady Di…
The project got me interested in amigurumi. I’ve been looking around for free patterns – don’t want to buy unless I’m sure I want to do it – but haven’t found anything inspirational. Most of them seem to be globular things, with no detail except what you can add with different coloured yarns and embellishments like eyes. Not enough challenge there! And I just don’t see the cuteness value they’re supposed to have.
I’m quite pleased with the way the shaping worked out. I’d love to try it again, if I ever get time. I have an idea for a very sultry Jessica Rabbit type bear for a friend,where I could really put shaping to work – maybe try shaping joints using a technique not unlike turning heels on socks. Needs some thinking about though.